- Lord of the Rings fans should make a trip to Matamata - home of the hobbits. Take a tour and see inside Bilbo's house.
- Pukeatua is the home of the Maungatautari Ecological Island, a reserve being restored to a pre people state.
- With an aim to completely pest proof fence off all 47km circumference of the reserve, eliminate all mammalian animal pests inside and
reintroduce rare indigenous animal and plant life, the trust managing the reserve want to make it a haven for animal and people alike. At present there are
walks you can do ranging from half an hour to 2 hours at the Southern and Northern Gates; with a track taking experienced trampers over the top of the mountain in about 6 hours. Remember, no dogs, no fruit or seeds are allowed to be takenin with you, and you must take all rubbish with you.
- Hamilton is the jewel in the crown of Waikato. A thriving creative city complete with University, it's the perfect place to base yourself as you explore the region.
- The Nikau Caves in Tuakau are amazing. From the lush farmland to the beautiful forest to the caves complete with stunning stalactites, stalagmites, pillars, straws and flowing shawls plus the many glow worms glinting in the darkness. This is the way to do it - crowd free! Tours are by arrangement so you wont find yourself part of a big group. Some fitness is required so call ahead to avoid disappointment.
Finding Waikato accommodation is a breeze with Jasons.co.nz. With a great range of options available throughout the region, you can take your pick of the best hotels, motels, serviced apartments, lodges, resorts and business accommodation with conference facilities. You will also find camping & holiday parks, bed and breakfasts, and backpackers; plus a selection of accommodation close to Hamilton airport if it's a fleeting visit. Waikato accommodation has never been easier to find and book than right here on Jasons.