- Hanmer Springs should definitely be on your itinerary for Canterbury!
- Choose from the famous natural hot pools, forest walks, mountain bike tracks, horse riding, quad biking, jetboating or just relaxing in the spa. Make sure you allow at least two days there.
- Arthur's Pass is a great place to visit, or stay at, if you want to check out Arthur's Pass National Park. As well as being unbelievably beautiful,
there are some great walks and hiking trails, plus opportunities to fish or even climb. Just remember - don't feed
the kea! They may seem cute now but they won't be so cute when they've attacked your tent or camper van in the middle of the night looking for your food or shiny things! (They're the large green parrots with orange under their wings.)
- Summer at Timaru's Caroline Bay is always a popular family option.
- Between the safe bay, the huge aviary, the talent show and the carnival, it's the stuff summers are made of.
- If you head into the Mackenzie Country, make sure you stop at Lake Tekapo and see the bronze Sheep Dog Statue, forever watching over the lake. It's dedicated to all of the back country working dogs that make such a big difference to the high country farmers when it comes to finding and moving stock in difficult terrain.
Motel apartments, motor lodges or motor inns, like serviced apartments, are a popular accommodation option with many situated near airports. Be it a small party or a larger group – motels are often the best way to go both in regards to price, facilities and flexibility for you to plan your visit.