- In Maori, Akaroa translates as 'Long Harbour', an apt name for such a beautiful place, tucked away in Banks Peninsula. Only 70km from Christchurch, it's a must visit for so many reasons.
- Arrange a trip to the Mt John Observatory near Lake Tekapo. Tours are available so you can marvel at the view over the Mackenzie basin during the day; and the truly amazing view of the stars at night.
- Hanmer Springs should definitely be on your itinerary for Canterbury!
- Choose from the famous natural hot pools, forest walks, mountain bike tracks, horse riding, quad biking, jetboating or just relaxing in the spa. Make sure you allow at least two days there.
- Some of the more notable people to come out of Timaru include Actor Kevin Smith, Runners Richard Tayler & Jack Lovelock, boxer Robert Fitzsimmons, inventor and the first man to fly, Richard Pearse as well as a New Zealand Prime Minister, Norman Kirk.
Visit Jasons for a range of Canterbury bed and breakfast (B&B) accommodation. Choose from B & B lodges and retreats, B & B breakfast studios and apartments; country and historic homes, villas and cottage bed and breakfasts. Locations include Christchurch, Hanmer, Timaru, Lake Tekapo, Akaroa, Darfield and more.